Certificate in Academic English
This Certificate in Academic English programme focuses on the skills required to perform in an English speaking academic environment sufficient for the undergraduate and postgraduate studies.The programme is structured to progressively help students by providing greater support and stronger foundation in their language skills to gainfully participate and succeed in their higher education. The intensive learning in the programme is an advantage for candidates who are pursuing their IELTS examination at the end of the programme as it equips them with the relevant IELTS test strategies.
The IELTS test element has been added to the programme providing students stronger foundation. Students have an option to take the IELTS test at the end of the programme.
At the end of the programme, students will be able to:
- Investigate topics and evaluate research.
- Identify explicit and implicit meaning from a variety of spoken sources and written sources.
- Argue a position cogently, both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrate a mastery of presentation skills.
- Research and work both in groups and independently to complete projects on deadline.
- Demonstrate a readiness for higher study.
The programme can be completed within 4 months.
This programme amounts to a total of 270 contact hours for the full-time pathway.
Assessment and Examination
At the commencement of the programme, students will be provided the assessment mode and weightings for the programme. This programme will have several points of assessment, which may include assignments, tests, projects and final examinations.
Speaking and Listening
You will learn speaking and listening skills at an advanced level, equipped for undergraduate and postgraduate studies:
- express ideas and thoughts in small group discussion in tutorial settings
- prepare and deliver oral presentations
- extract main and supporting information from a formal lecture presentation
- understand formal and informal conversations or commentary on topics in academic and non-academic contexts
You will be equipped with academic vocabulary and gain understanding of the structure and discourse of text:
- be equipped with the knowledge of academic vocabulary
- demonstrate understanding of the structure and discourse of texts by extracting the relevant information and presenting them orally or in written form
- read and comprehend articles of both academic and general interest
You will will be trained to write a range of complex sentences, correctly paraphrase and use references and produce research reports:
- correctly use reference materials, following appropriate academic conventions
- identify and create appropriate text types required for an academic task
- plan, research and write research reports
paraphrase for referencing
- write a range of complex sentences with a degree of grammatical accuracy
Full-time: April, July, October
Maximum Candidature Period
Full-Time: 6 months
The programme is taught in a highly fun and interactive learning environment where students will have the opportunity to collaborate, experiment, and learn. Students will engage in weekly fun learning activities, role-plays, and presentations enabling them to participate in independent learning, group work and presentation skills.
Teaching and learning methods will include Information Research, Open Textbook Study, Presentations, Academic Reading-Writing-Listening-Speaking, Role Plays and Blended Learning.
Minimum Number of Students Before a Class Commences
Minimum 25 students are required before commencement of classes.
Programme Fees (International Admissions): $4,280.00*
* All fees inclusive of 7% GST and may be subject to change annually
* Programme Fee excludes textbooks
* Click here to view other charges for students