Diploma in Media and Communications
Mass communication is increasingly playing an influential role in modern society. The Diploma in Media and Communications is a comprehensive mass communication course designed to equip students with theoretical and practical knowledge in media and communications. It is an interdisciplinary course of study where students will examine and analyze various forms of mass media and gain useful skills in this continuously evolving media field. The course opens doors to a spectrum of careers from advertising and broadcasting to public relations and publishing. It offers students media production skills needed to work in the radio and television production field. Students will also gain understanding other fields such as management, marketing, and business ethics.
At the end of this programme, students will be able to:
- Provide students with the theoretical and practical knowledge of mass communication
- Develop effective written and speech communication skills to communicate ideas clearly and concisely
- Provide students with the opportunity to collect, present and analyse data in the area of media and communications
- Equip students with journalism skills including information gathering, news writing, and interviewing
- Provide the theoretical and practical knowledge of business namely management, ethical decision making and marketing communications
- Develop media production skills to be employable in production-related industries
- Enhance the creativity, critical thinking skills, and global consciousness of students
- Provide students the opportunity to work effectively in teams
The programme can be completed within 12 months.
This programme consists of 8 modules, amounting to a total of 240 contact hours for the full-time pathway.
Assessment and Examination
At the commencement of each module, students will be provided the assessment mode and weightings for the module. Most modules have several points of assessment, which may include assignments, tests, projects and final examinations.
- Mass Communications
- Written and Speech Communication
- Principles of Journalism
- Marketing Communications
- Business Ethics
Elective Path 1
- Sound and Radio Production
- Television and Film Production
Elective Path 2
- Radio News Writing
- Television News Writing
The delivery of modules may not follow the sequence as shown and is subject to change.
Full-time: January, April, July, October
Upon successful completion of the diploma, graduates can advance to the Bachelor of Communication (Major in Public Relations and Journalism) awarded by The University of Newcastle Australia and Bachelor of Arts with Honours in Media and Communications awarded by Coventry University.
Full-Time: 320 hours
Maximum Candidature Period
Full-Time: 24 months
Lectures, tutorials and project assignments will be conducted within PSB Academy campus.
Minimum Number of Students Before a Class Commences
Minimum 25 students are required before commencement of classes.
Local Student Admission
The minimum entry requirements are:
- 2 GCE 'A' Levels; OR
- PSB Certificate in Business Management; OR
- Mature candidates (≥30 years old with 8 years work experience); OR
- Candidates with other qualifications will be considered as case-by-case basis.
- GCE 'O' Level English (Grade 1 to 6)
- PSB Academy's Certificate in English Proficiency programme;
- An equivalent English language qualification
International Student Admission
Full-time Pathway (Local Admissions)
Total Programme Fee: S$6,420.00*
Financial Aid / Available Grants
Please click here to view financial aid and available grants.
Total Programme Fee (International Admissions): S$11,042.40*
* All fees inclusive of 7% GST and may be subject to change annually
* Programme fee excludes textbooks
* Click here to view other charges for students